1. Tripura’s Dipa Karmakar made India proud at the Olympics 2016. She is the first Indian female gymnast ever to compete in the Olympics.
2. Assam’s Majuli becomes the first island district of India.
3. Sikkim was declared as India’s cleanest state. Previously, the state gained prominence for being the first all-organic state in India.
4. Meghalaya’s fashion designer Rupert Lynrah showcased his collection at London Fashion Week in September 2016. He displayed two collections – ‘Ethnicity with a Mod Twist’ and ‘Hollywood Glamour’ made of ‘ryndia’ (eri silk) and muga silk of the northeast through his label RWL Designs.
5. Renowned designer from Manipur, Robert Naorem showcased his collection “Weaves of Manipur” at the Mysore Fashion Week in September 2016
6. After being screened at the 2nd National Children’s Film Festival, 2016 in Jaipur, ‘Hope’, a short film by the students of NPS International School, Guwahati on two of their differently-abled colleagues, has been selected for screening at Sunlight International Film Festival, Germany.
7. Rewati Chetri from Assam, was crowned Miss Asia (Best in Asia Continent) at the World Miss University 2016 pageant in China. She had also won Miss Popular and Miss Multimedia titles in Femina Miss India 2015.
8. Meghalaya became the first state in India to start the Annual Cherry Blossom Festival.
9. The Duke and the Duchess of Cambridge visited the Northeast
10. John Abraham becomes the brand ambassador of Arunachal Pradesh Tourism
11. Yngwei Malmsteen performed for the first time in India at the Dambuk Orange Festival, Arunachal Pradesh.
12. Assam’s Priyadarshini Chatterjee won the Miss India World title in April 2016, and was in the top 20 in the Miss World 2016 contest.
13. The Assam Tourism Board launched its new brand logo and appointed Priyanka Chopra as the brand ambassador.
14. “Made in Assam” made a very successful debut at the Lakme Fashion Week 2016, with three designers and their labels – ‘Naturally’ by Anuradha Pegu, ‘Pariah’ by Pranami Kalita and ‘Aagor by Ants Craft’ by Aditi Holani Chandak